Fade To Black Play Festival is seeking 10-minute plays for our upcoming season.
Submission indicates you have read, understand and consent to the rules and guidelines. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.
- Submitting author must be an African-American/Black playwright and the sole owner of the copyrighted work.
- Submission form must be completed before emailing your play.
- Play must not be previously produced. “Produced” – Your play was marketed for production date(s) by either you (its playwright) or a theatre company and was performed before an audience who purchased tickets to see the event. *Staged readings are not considered productions. If your play has only had public or private readings but has not been produced as a full-scale stage performance, you are permitted to submit the play.
- Play must not be published. “Published” – Your play is an officially published work and commands royalties from the producing theater each time it is performed.
- Play must not exceed 8-10 minutes. Plays that exceed this time frame will be disqualified.
- Play must be submitted in pdf format.
- Play should accommodate a “bare-stage” set requiring only minor accommodations of removable stage props and require basic lighting and sound cues.
- No more than three (3) submissions per playwright are accepted.
- The playwright may choose any theme or subject matter they desire.
- Play must not be a musical.
- Play must not be written for children or youth.
- Play must not be a re-submission from previous Fade To Black festival seasons.
- Play must not be considered a translation or adaptation.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to submit.
There is no submission fee.
Selected playwrights will receive an honorarium of $100.00.
Selected playwrights will have their play produced in front of a live audience.
Submissions open February 1.
Submission deadline is April 1.
Playwrights will be announced no later than May 1.
Email your submission in pdf format. Email address: email@example.com
Email header should read: Submission: Fade to Black. Your name. Title of play.
Your play should include cover pages including your name, contact information, title of play as well as any character descriptions or pertinent details you have regarding the play.
For more information, please contact Denise O’Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org.