SPORTS + OUTDOORS
The Ice at Discovery Green
November 24, 2011 - January 22, 2012
St. Joseph Medical Center’s The ICE at Discovery Green presented by the Houston Chronicle and Momentum Luxury Auto Group returns this holiday season to bring the excitement of outdoor ice skating to Houstonians and visitors. Over the past three years, more than 350,000 visitors have made the Downtown Houston park an ice skating destination. The ice rink opens to the public Thursday, November 24 and lasts until Sunday, January 22.
Located in the heart of downtown, the 7,200 square-foot ice skating rink continues to bring joy and delight to Houstonians of all ages. Park visitors can ice skate with a view of the downtown skyline on the transformed model boat basin which is frozen using recycled water from Kinder Lake and powered by renewable energy.
Quick facts about the rink:
- At 7,200 square feet and ice at a frosty 22 degrees, with over 17-miles of cooling pipe under the ice!
- Recycled water from Kinder Lake is used to help chill the ice.
- Power used for the rink, including freezing of the surface, is 100% renewable energy.
- The playful and nostalgic ambience of the ice rink's artistic flair inspires all who visit. The rink's art-glass railings and the mural kiosks are a part of the active buzz of the park. The colors within the glass railings dance across the ice and throw light brilliantly in the daytime.
- This true art installation was designed by Ice Rink Events parter Lena Gottschall, with her lifetime of world-travel as inspiration, and as an accomplished professional graphic designer, architect, photographer and artist.
- The music at the rink frames the artistic expression of this unique urban setting. From Thanksgiving through December 24th, the music collection mixes recognizable Christmas songs with innovative, upbeat urban/world beats, which is meant to please all generations and preferences. After the holidays, modern collections of jazz, classical, swing, and international hits are featured -- music which not only has dance beats, but has positive, uplifting, meaningful lyrics. Enjoy!
St. Joseph Medical Center’s Ice at Discovery Green presented by the Houston Chronicle and Momentum Luxury Auto Group features a snackshop, fun merchandise, and great events held weekly, as well as the Snow Box— a special, toddler-friendly rink, complete with a visit from Santa.
Evening, weekend and holiday operating hours are available at discoverygreen.com, as well as information on weekly concerts, films, exercise classes and toddler activities. The rink will be open daily through January 22. Admission is $10 plus tax, which includes a skate rental.