Bethany United Methodist Church
By January 22, 1950, the first worship service was held in the auditorium of Pershing Junior High School. Thirteen were in attendance. The pulpit was temporarily filled with visiting ministers. The Rev. William M. Harris was appointed as Bethany’s first full-time minister. Under his leadership, we soon moved to larger facilities in Mark Twain Elementary School. The early committed gathered at our present sight and together ‘handmade’ the blocks with “The Bethany Cross” that grace the front of our first unit. By October 5, 1952, we moved into our current location. By December, 1953, the second unit was added, followed shortly by the third unit of 12 classrooms and a fourth – the office and Sanctuary. The last unit of the master plan was the Fellowship Hall and kitchen. Our total facilities were completed in 1964, a monument to God and the faithful. The stage was set for THE STORY OF BETHANY. With this as our goal, 250 members plunged enthusiastically into the challenge. This goal was reached; the building finished; the church was not. Through the years, the golden threads of faith, hope, and love were woven into the fabric of the church with commitment, dedication, and hard work. While maintaining its mission of worship, Christian education, music, United Methodist Women’s Organization, scouts, and Altar Guild, Bethany continues to grow most notably in its weekday ministries. Ever sensitive to the needs of the community, Bethany provides appropriate programs for the youngest to the oldest members.