Anderson Fair sits at the confluence of Grant Street, West Drew and Welch in the historic "Montrose" area of Houston, just a short half block east of Montrose Boulevard. The building, a still evolving manifestation of varying degrees of carpentry skill by patrons and benefactors down through the years, structurally reflects the cultural and artistic diversity of Houston since the turn of the 20th century. Many of its timbers, doors, frames, window glass and fixtures came from a mid 19th century structure in downtown Houston, and the aptly named "music room", floored with the red brick of song fame, was once a court yard between the three story structure on the north side of the property and a single story building on the south that dates back to the 1890’s. Legend has it that this southernmost structure was once the law and real estate office of a brother of one of Texas’ governors, and that it stood at the ‘end of the line’ for the Grant Street streetcars. That part of the building has since housed such diverse enterprises as a grocery, a washateria, a headshop, a photography studio and a recording studio.